(UPDATED 2011-01-27, 2011-05-28, 2015-08-10, 2015-09-14, 2016-11-11, 2016-12-03)
Rant Roulette is a blog where I (Shawn K. Quinn) post my take on current events and news, with an occasional technology and sports slant.
My blog is open to public comment. I welcome intelligent comments, submitted with a valid e-mail address, as well as legitimate trackbacks and pingbacks from posts made on readers’ blogs. As long as they don’t break other rules, I’ll accept, and sometimes even reply to, comments which completely disagree with my point of view.
Comments are moderated. The vast majority of comments will not be posted immediately. Approval may take up to 24 hours, sometimes even longer.
The following may result in your comment being edited or rejected entirely:
- Excessively profane, obscene, or vulgar comments
- Off-topic content or links
- Lack of a valid e-mail address, including the presence of an obviously invalid e-mail address (in addition to helping weed out questionable comments, I occasionally have questions on comments that need to be answered prior to approval. I do not share e-mail addresses.)
- Extremely poor grammar or spelling
- Flaming, or baiting others to flame
- Using a language other than English, or a trackbacks/pingback to a blog or website not written in English (exception: if I can obtain a satisfactory translation, I may allow trackbacks/pingbacks to non-English blogs/websites, at my discretion)
- Trackbacks, pingbacks, or links to blogs or websites I deem likely to be fradulent or spam
- Attempting to serve legal notice or demand via a comment, trackback, or pingback
- Comments I believe to mostly contain lies or deceptive statements
- Comments which are unlawful, or which encourage a violation of civil or criminal law (such as attempts to libel others or encourge infringement of copyright)
- Comments, trackbacks, or pingbacks I feel it is in my best interests not to publish on my blog for other reasons not listed above
The moderation team reserves the right to validate the purported email address of an originating comment prior to publication (i.e. while the comments are still in the moderation queue visible only to the moderation team). If the email bounces or is not replied to within a reasonable amount of time, it will be moderated as spam unless a compelling reason is found by the moderation team to do otherwise.
Rejected comments may be sent back via e-mail. In the case of a missing or invalid e-mail address, or a flagrant violation of the rules, the comment will be deleted or may be sent back via any other means of contact available.
It is my endeavor to ensure authors of rejected comments which appear to be made in good faith are notified why such comments cannot be published, regardless of who on my moderation team has made the decision. If your comment was thusly rejected, asking nicely via the contact form is your best chance at getting an answer.
Multiple rejected comments or a flagrant violation of these guidelines may result in a temporary or indefinite ban from further commenting on this or any other blogs I administer in the future.
In plain English:
I try to be reasonable about the comments I allow here, but I will not necessarily approve all comments submitted for publication and there are some things I simply cannot allow. Accepting comments submitted with valid e-mail addresses helps ensure the comments come from real people. I do not share e-mail addresses with anyone and I do not use the e-mail address for anything besides validation or questions I need to ask prior to comment approval.
— Shawn K. Quinn
Ranter-in-chief, Rant Roulette
Revised 2016 December 3